THE ABSOLUTE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO HOW TO WRITE A SCREENPLAY
Fenella Greenfield's acclaimed course is back. Kickstart your movie screenplay with this two-day baptism of fire.
All students get a FREE ENTRY worth £35 into the EUROSCRIPT SCREENWRITING COMPETITION 2015.
Always dreamed of writing a film script? Or need a refresher course because you're stuck? Then this exercise-intensive weekend workshop is made for you.
By the end of the weekend you will have the beat outline of your first feature script, stepped out structurally from beginning to end, and you'll have the expertise and inspiration you need to begin writing a feature film script.
The course is designed for a wide range of people:
- those who write for other media but have never written a screenplay;
- those who work in other areas of the film business and would like to understand how screenplay writers spend their day;
- and those who've read the books, been on the courses and are still stuck on page 45.
Included in the weekend:
The screenplay: what does it look like? How is it formatted? You write your first opening scene.
- The idea: how to generate a wealth of ideas, then select the best. You think up great plots for your own movie.
- Writing cinematically: how to think epic and use images to carry your narrative. You write your first action sequence.
- Dialogue: how to write spoken words with the impact and economy of poetry. You learn to write from character.
- Plot: how to think up great twists and use them to make your story more gripping.
During the weekend you'll also learn some screenwriting jargon and experiment with these key ideas in your own stories. For example:
- What's a Goal, Arc, Treatment, Premise?
- What is 'Three-Act Structure' and can we break the rules?
- What's Emotional Underscoring?
- What does 'Expertise' bring to a film?
- How do relationships between characters make or break stories?
At the end of the course, you will be given a reading and information list.
This is an intensive, hands-on course and you will be writing and reading out your work all weekend. The course will be taught in English, though you may, of course, write in any language.
'A useful guide to kickstart your screenplay after those many, many years of procrastination!'
'Even if you don't have a film idea, come along and be inspired. You'll be surprised!
' A great weekend which has shifted a long-lasting block'.
'The Tutor is excellent at making you firm up your vague ideas whilst also making very valuable suggestions for further developments.'
Room MAL 255
London WC1E 7HX
£175 (concessions £155)
PAY BY INSTALMENTS
If you are unable to afford the full price right away, pay a deposit of £50* and the balance five days before the course.
*We regret the deposit is non-refundable.
We offer the concessionary rate to all Concessions as well as to members of these affiliated organisations. If you are a member of one of these organisations, please book at the concessionary rate and show your membership card to the course tutor at registration.
Email Fenella or phone 07515381586
As a trustee of the Screenwriters' Workshop, Fenella Greenfield was a founder member of Euroscript, helping to launch it as a Media funded European initiative. She has written broadcast scripts for radio and television. She’s a freelance promo producer and has won awards both here and in the States for her work. As a writer and development producer, through her company Fenella Greenfield Limited, she develops films and TV programmes. As an active member of BAFTA she judges in the ‘Documentary’ and ‘Film Not in the English Language’ categories and is a member of the Screenplay Chapter of the awards.
Check out her website here and her YouTube channel here.